Thank you all for reading and commenting on my blog post yesterday about the Minnesota Starvation Study. I’m the kind of person who WANTS to know the reason behind the recommended behavior or rule. I’ve always heard about the serious nature of starvation mode and recommendations that women must consume at least 1200 calories a day but I had never read the why that’s true. That study gives the why. Yes, my must know attitude gives me grief at times, especially in political matters but I am willing to do the work so I can decide for myself. 

 

That study has enlightened me and given me new ways to look at my behaviors while losing weight. My calorie range is 1200-1350 to consistently lose weight. As I lose weight and become more active, that range delivers 2 pounds a week. Very reasonable but also very close to restrictive dieting numbers so now I realize WHY I must be very careful at the low end of my range.

 

I also wondered if the foods provided, Potatoes, turnips, rutabaga and pasta, might be a contributing factor to the psychological factors. Those foods don’t provide much psychological satiety and there are no fatty, salty or sweet things to keep the inner Wild Child satisfied. 

 

God forbid if someone brought in a delectable forbidden fruit, you can imagine the free for all brawl that would ensue. 

 

So next time I’m having a bad day, I’m going to be a lot easier on myself in light of this new very helpful knowledge. 


Again thanks for your input. I AWAYS learn something new from all of you. 


Comments

  1. As WATERMELLEN always says , being kind and gentle on ourselves brings a calm delight to our days ... so much better that beating ourselves up and we take time to consider our choices and the portion size :). we get to enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan for a bad day... being kind to yourself, and recognizing what might be driving your desires! Well said! ✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. These thoughts remind me of some musings I had a while ago, here: http://web.archive.org/web/20210616142615/https://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=2367267 Turns out that 1%-1.5% per week is about the fastest recommended speed of weight (fat) loss. And I suspect that rate of loss probably could lead to the effects described in the MN Starvation Study.

    Speaking of studies, I can't remember if I've ever recommended Leigh Peele's work to you. She is great for those of us who appreciate evidence-based answers to our questions, "why???" She's done a lot of research and thinking about the psychological and physiological effects of body recomposition and fat loss. Here's an article about this very topic:
    https://www.leighpeele.com/starvation-mode

    Keep up the great content!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World is a BEAUTIFUL Place

Walk with me

Food for thought pun intended