Journey updates and a question

Been cruising along steadily this past month. I am eating high protein, low carb 1200-1300 cal/day with Intermittent Fasting at 10 hrs a day. At about 3 months the honeymoon stage usually ends for me and I did encounter a couple of days where my hand was quicker than my Beck counsel thoughts. But I was reading blogs and was inspired to change my daily relationship with my inner Wild Child and Dictator. I started by intentionally addressing them at meal times pointing out the fatty, salty and sweet items on my plate. That really seems to be pleasing for everyone. Never one to stop with a single effort, I was inspired to include them in my daily activities. I’ve been intentionally pointing out nature’s beauty and looking for eye candy treats for Wild Child’s (WC) enjoyment. Dictator (D) has been given my ongoing assurances from tracking and meeting my goals. She has been very quiet. I think WC being happy has reduced her workload. Still expressing my appreciation for their efforts on my behalf. 

 

One question has been rumbling in my head. I was reading a blog by someone who follows the Weight Watchers Points Plan. She wrote about reducing calorie intake on 4 days a week in order to bank and save up points for a planned celebration on the weekend. As I read that, WC leapt for joy and wanted to grab the steering wheel and hit the gas. That reaction is alarming and D’s reaction was “the sky is falling!” I have successfully negotiated a pause on that idea while I gather more data. 

 

Okay my successful Maintainers, what do you think? Weigh in, please. 


This photo was of an antique scale in a tourist shopping area. I ask you, Who would do that in public while on vacation.? 




 



 

 

Comments

  1. As long as a temporary rise on the scale doesn't freak you out, "saving up points" for a celebration can work. Things for ME that can be "danger, Will Robinson!" flags would be the content of the splurge... and whether it will trigger reactionary over eating in the days FOLLOWING the celebration.

    I'm usually good at the actual party, but second-guessing myself later can lead to problems with the fork in the aftermath. Important to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with both D and WC ahead of time, if you plan to try such a strategy. Other "fair warning"... it may work once in a while, but beware of developing a deprivation/binge cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s exactly why I was holding up the caution sign. The last thing I need right now would be to loss confidence. Things are going smoothly and keeping WC and D satisfied has made me a happier person. Perhaps it’s a tool to reconsider a bit later I can rethink this idea. It makes head sense but doesn’t quite meet emotional sense.

      Delete
  2. Controlled splurges (oxymoron?) can be helpful in a couple of ways; first, having different calorie intakes on some days can help keep your body “guessing” and slow down metabolic adaptation somewhat. Second, it can help keep me from feeling deprived.

    The tricky part for me is keeping it under control. My Inner Toddler gets carried away easily, and my Authority Figure finds that threat of loss of control unnerving. Lots of opportunity for rationalizing, and sometimes I rationalize myself right into overeating and regretting it.

    If your food tracker can show you a weekly running average, or the total weekly intake, you can use that to help figure out whether and how much leeway you have saved up for an event.

    I sometimes can manage it and sometimes I can’t; depends on what else is going on my life at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope not for me, I like my daily intake ... it would have to be 'not about the food but the company' for me . ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't stick to my daily food plan, I end up binging. It's a matter of whatever works for you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World is a BEAUTIFUL Place

Walk with me

Food for thought pun intended