Thankful

Life is good. Sometimes, I forget to let go and let God. This week was one of those weeks. Tough week. Don’t you just hate problems or dilemmas that don’t have solutions? I’m a “fretter” in those kinds of situations. Think. Think. Think. Search for a solution. Research for possibilities. Cry. Pray.

DS lives in one of those states that is having a dire Covid surge. There are only 17 adult ICU beds available in the entire state. In the surging states, the pediatric Covid rate has gone up 84 percent during the month of July. The local hospitals have canceled all elective surgeries. The Governor has mobilized the National Guard to assist hospitals. The Guard has no medical personnel because they are already working in local hospitals. All of the state’s congressmen have implored FEMA to send medical assistance. Today, the newspaper reported that a Covid patient died in the ER while awaiting an ICU bed. The leading Health Science University projects they will be short 500 hospital beds by September 1st. 

All of that is bad enough. Here is where it gets personal. DS has 2 young children that are supposed to start school for the first time in September. The kids are too young to be vaccinated and the the soonest their age group may be eligible for vaccine is December or January. The Governor has mandated that a Covid surge won’t cancel all in-person learning statewide. No virtual option is available. DS and his wife attended a hybrid virtual meeting with the school board and was unsatisfied with the answers provided to protect kids. Masks are required for everyone while inside but kids are not required to mask outdoors for recess. They didn’t have social distancing answers for Lunchtime or busses. They said, “social distancing indoors will be kept to a minimum of 3 feet to the extent possible.” 

DS and his wife are terrified. They only knew they had to find a way to get through the next 4 or 5 months until the girls can be vaccinated. After research for alternatives, they decided homeschooling was their only option. They both work from home but they have kept the kids home with them and out of daycare during the worst of the pandemic. 

Today, I curled up in my bed and snuggled with my soft blanket for comfort and cried. I finally let it all go. I had a nice long talk with God. I am so thankful there was a decision and a safer choice. This pandemic has forced so many hard decisions on all of us. It’s been overwhelming at times. Feeling unsettled, unsure, ambivalent, torn, frustrated and just plain tired of making decisions. Today, I’m thankful and grateful to God to have been given the opportunity to make a decision. 

Comments

  1. ❤️

    This is definitely a rough time. I’m glad DS has the option to homeschool, even though I’m sure it will be difficult.

    Hang in there. I think it’s OK to say, “I’ve had it with making decisions!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wise to put it all in God's hands and know that He has got this. A lot of the times I picture myself like a little kid taking all my worries back in my hands, realizing what I am doing and putting it back again in His hands. We can only do the best we can and rest in Him. - Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a horrible situation. Our DGD, 13 years old and 8th grade, has lived with us since she started 2nd grade. Last year was bad, and as a retired teacher, I decided to home school. This year, the situation and numbers are worse. School starts next Tuesday and I'm totally undecided what to do. I would like her to finish this year with her classmates. A small class of 13 students. It seems there are millions of us in the same situation, trying to make sense of it all and keep our loved ones safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this was a tough one. I'm so grateful that a decision has been made. As hard as it may be, if your DS and his wife have made it, I pray that they have all the support to pull it off, and that years from now it will be a family story looked back on the way you and I might look back on some of our own "tough years." Good for you for having a good cry with God. Sometimes that's a blessing and a release. I have been known on occasion to holler at God, preferably outdoors on a hilltop, into the wind! Kind of like Elijah waiting for the still small voice...

    Prayers and blessings to you and yours! πŸ™πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete
  5. God's blessings on you and your kids and their families. This is a TOUGH, TOUGH situation. I have to only feel tha my thoughts would run to homeschooling, too. Just could not in god conscience send unvaccinated kids to school. **SIGH**

    praying for an end in sigh for this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World is a BEAUTIFUL Place

Walk with me

Food for thought pun intended