Another talk with Wild Child, Dictator and me

Another talk with Wild Child, Dictator and me. 

We talked a few months ago and agreed to allow ourselves a few small indulgences. Sadly, there had been some overeating going on. We had a talk to see if we could  figure out what was going on last week.


We agreed to stop eating candy for one week and talk again.


Me. The week is finished and we agreed to talk about this issue again. WC, has the past week experience helped you figure things out? 


WC. I was able to stop eating candy. It really wasn’t that difficult.


D. It was tense for me. 


Me. Overeating always causes tension in all of us because we know that overeating keeps us from reaching our goals. WC, can you tell us how eating candy feels to you? 


WC. Candy tastes good. I like it specially when I don’t get many treats. 


D. You sure had a lot of treats a couple of weeks ago! 


Me. Yes, we all know that we ate more candy than we planned. Remember, no recriminations about the overeating. WC, you were able to stop eating candy. In fact, that was good for all of us. We are proud of ourselves. WC, we know you like candy but I think it could help us to know how eating candy makes you feel? 


WC. I like feeling like I get to do what I want. 


D. You want a lot of things that aren’t good for us! Stomps foot.


Me. WC, you felt in control of our eating. Feeling you get what you want is a powerful feeling. Please, tell us more about your feelings.


WC. I feel like sometimes, nobody wants to listen you me. I like feeling happy. 


Me. You feel like we don’t always want to listen to you. I thought that when we went to the beach for our walks, we always listened to you. We found lots of eye candy for you to enjoy. We took pictures so we could enjoy those walks over and over again. We all loved the smell of the salty air. 


D. Walking is a great fitness activity and we are getting more fit and our endurance is getting better. The  mile long walks are proof we are getting stronger. 


WC. Yes, I love going to the beach. I love the things we see and the way the air feels and smells. I’d like to go every day. But I still love candy. 


Me. I don’t think we really understand how candy makes you feel. Can you tell us about the feeling you get when you eat candy? 


WC. Candy is sweet on my tongue. I really like that feeling in my mouth. It’s so good sometimes I bite the candy so the flavor bursts and then I’m sorry it’s gone so quick. Then I want another one. It’s just the best feeling. 


D. Yeah, sometimes you want another and then another and no matter how I try to stop you, you keep eating. 


Me. Yes, that’s true. Something about eating candy is like eating potato chips. You just can’t stop at one. WC, tell us more about the feeling of eating candy. 


WC. Candy makes me happy. I feel so happy and I want to keep feeling happy. It’s like I never feel that way without it.


Me. Candy gives you a feeling you don’t have when you eat other foods? How is it different?


WC. Candy makes my head feel happy. 


D. Like being drunk? 


Me. There’s a feeling in your head that changes when you eat candy. 


WC. Yes, and it’s so special. 


Me. Hey, we learned a lot of new things today. I thought taking you to the beach and finding eye candy for you to enjoy was filling you up with good feelings but it seems there’s a part of you that isn’t being fill up with happiness on our walks. Can you think of anything that would fill that part of you up? 


WC. I don’t think. I feel.


D. I do the thinking for us and I’m getting tired of talking about feelings.


Me. Okay. Good work both of you.. Maybe we’ve done enough for today. Can we agree to meet again next week and see if we can find out what other things that part of us loves? 


WC. Okay. 


D. No candy this week! It makes things too tense.


Me. Can we agree to no candy just for the next week so we can keep working on this? 


WC. Just one week. None of that forever stuff. 


D. Okay. 







Comments

  1. Awww. It really is tough, heading into Food Season. ❤️

    So many more triggers and tempting situations with regard to food.

    For me, sugars and starches trigger cravings for more more more.

    Sometimes I have to distract myself with creative activities that keep my hands busy and my mind entertained. Coloring abstract designs in grownup coloring books works sometimes... So do crossword puzzles, and knitting. If I can just distract myself long enough, I can sometimes outlast those unreasonable cravings.

    Also, getting enough protein in my diet can help a lot. (Ideally 100-150g per day) That has been a challenge for me lately. 🤨

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that often I am really good not having candy until I have that one piece and then the craving gets out of control. I just can't give in to that without starting a spiral of eating. Playing video games works as a great subsitute. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good talk. "Just for Today" comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World is a BEAUTIFUL Place

Walk with me

Food for thought pun intended