Wild Child Dictator and me

A talk with Wild Child, Dictator and me. 


We talked a few months ago and agreed to allow ourselves a few small indulgences. Sadly, there has been some overeating going on. I think we need to have a talk and see if we can figure out what is going on. 

 

Me. How are you feeling WC? 

 

WC. I feel, sad and frustrated. 

 

D. YOU’Re frustrated! We’re all frustrated!

 

Me. Yes, we are all frustrated. That’s why we are having this talk. WC tell us more about how you’ve been feeling. 

 

WC. I wanted to keep the agreement but couldn’t quite do it. She kicks the dirt.

 

D. I told you over and over that you were eating too many treats.

 

WC. But they were Sooooo good! I wanted more. 

 

Me. Yeah. Eating treats is a new skill and maybe we need help figuring out how to allow indulgences but not overeat them. 

 

D. You agreed to eat just a little and stop or I never would have agreed to this! 

 

WC. We’ll you never let me have any in the past and that just wasn’t fair!

 

Me. Okay. We all agreed to the occasional indulgence plan but none of us expected it would become this hard. That’s why we’re talking. We used to have a forbidden food list. Do we still have trigger foods that need to stay on that list? 

 

WC. No! I don’t want to go back to All or Nothing! 

 

D. All or nothing worked! I kept quiet about daily indulgences until you failed miserably.

 

Me. Okay now. No more recriminations. Being negative keeps us from uncovering the truth. All or nothing was hard in a different way. It created lots of unhappiness. WC. What makes you happy besides overeating sweet, salty and fatty foods? 

 

WC. I Love our beach walks. I like seeing new and different things and finding the unexpected surprise things. I love the ocean most of all. 

 

Me. D, what do you think about our walks? 

 

D. Walks are great for fitness and building muscle and that’s good for weight loss. Walks are good. 

 

Me. There are indulgences that we are handling well. Strawberries with 1T whipped cream, 1 piece of chocolate candy, that 1 glass of wine with no dessert last week. 

 

WC. Yeah, those were really good. I like how they make me feel. 

 

D. They aren’t healthy foods. 

 

Me. Strawberries are healthy. The whipped cream, chocolate and wine are an indulgences. Those were controlled indulgences because we stopped after we ate just one. Why are some indulgences easy to limit and others so difficult? 

 

WC. I love candy. I had the calories for the candy so I thought I could have it. 

 

D. Yeah, you had the calories for one not six. Harumph! 

 

WC. But sweets things are my favorites and that candy was gone so quick. I just wanted to enjoy it some more. 

 

Me. I think you are saying that you like sweets but candy just doesn’t last long enough. Strawberries and 1T of whipped cream is sweet but it takes longer to eat those. 

 

WC. Yeah. I eat strawberries and whipped cream at breakfast when I’m eating more food. 

 

D. You do stop when you’re full with the strawberries. 

 

Me. Okay that’s good to know. Eating candy as a nighttime snack is harder because you’re not feeling full. Can we agree to restrict eating candy for 1 week? 

 

D. Yes. Absolutely. No more candy. 

 

WC. Hey, she said one week! 

 

D. One week is a good start. But then what? 

 

Me. Restricting candy for one week will allow us to rebuild our trust and we will feel in control again. 

 

D. I don’t feel. I think no candy for a week is good.

 

WC. What happens after a week? 

 

Me. We can meet again after a week and see if we can agree to a long term plan. 

 

D. I’ll keep track of the time. 

 

WC. Okay. One week. 


Me. I’ll make sure we get a beach walk this week. 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Yikes. Sugar abd candies are no bueno for any of the crowd living inside of me...

    Inner toddler goes on a rampage, and Judgement flies out the window. Sugars and starches give me terrible cravings. It can take 48 hours after them for me to recover 😱

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World is a BEAUTIFUL Place

Walk with me

Food for thought pun intended